What is Congregate Housing?

Congregate housing is intended for use by elderly persons or persons with disabilities. A congregate housing facility contains a shared central kitchen and dining area and a private living area for the individual household that includes at least a living room, bedroom and bathroom. Food service for residents must be provided.

If approved by the DHA, a family member or live-in aide may reside with the elderly person or person with disabilities. The DHA must approve a live-in aide if needed as a reasonable accommodation so that the program is readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.

When providing HCV assistance in congregate housing, a separate lease and HAP contract are executed for each assisted family, and the standard form of the HAP contract is used.


How are payment standards, utility allowances and HAP contracts calculated?

The payment standard for an individual unit in a congregate housing facility is based on the number of rooms in the private living area. If there is only one room in the unit (not including the bathroom or the kitchen, if a kitchen is provided), the DHA must use the payment standard for a 0-bedroom unit. If the unit has two or more rooms (other than the bathroom and the kitchen), the DHA must use the 1-bedroom payment standard. The HAP for an assisted occupant in a congregate housing facility is the lower of the applicable payment standard minus the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) or the gross rent for the unit minus the TTP. The gross rent for the unit for calculating HCV assistance is the shelter portion (including utilities) of the resident’s monthly housing expense only. The residents’ costs for food service should not be included in the rent for a congregate housing unit.


Housing Quality Standards and Inspection for Congregate Housing…

HQS requirements as described in Chapter 8, of our Administrative Plan, apply to congregate housing except for the requirements stated below. Congregate housing must have (1) a refrigerator of appropriate size in the private living area of each resident; (2) a central kitchen and dining facilities located within the premises and accessible to the residents, and (3) food service for the residents, that is not provided by the residents themselves. The housing quality standards applicable to lead-based paint do not apply.


[24 CFR 982.606 through 982.609]